About Me

My photo
A student of the human mind...a searcher...an advisor...a teacher... loves easily and easy to love. Come share with me...:)

Monday, November 29, 2010

Bridges and Borders (part 2)

So this post won't be as formal or as long as the normal ones, I just wanted to follow up on the first post I made entitled Bridges and Borders. Basically, I want to say that since writing that post/video I've come to learn, accept and realize a few things about the position I was coming from and also the different positions that exist. There are many many videos on youtube, a lot of my friends, and a few associates with whom I have a bit of value to their opinion and through all of these mediums I've accepted that not everyone likes, appreciates, or agrees with many of the views I expressed in the first part of this post. Whereas usually I don't really give much attention to expressed opposing opinions and political correctedness, I'm really writing this because something in me and MY thinking on the topic changed and therefore I don't want old feelings and ideas, especially documented, to reflect my new position or state of mind.

Here goes:

I still maintain that to make up a LATINO one needs the three parts (however equal or unequal)of African blood, Native people's blood, and European blood. We all know the history of the slave trade, the intermixing, so on and so fourth. HOWEVER, I've come to realize that SOME communities of people have more AFRO-reflectant lifestyles, afro-reflectant practices such as religion, dance, and language, and an afro-reflectant overall identity which makes the term afro-Latino make sense. I've also come to realize and accept that there are going to be some blond hair, white skin, blue eyed people who obviously know their history but are clearly "white" Latinos with African ancestry. That the american concept of BLACK is different from the overall world views and that this term BLACK is the culprit of much too much confusion.

BLACK

In America, refers to someone of darker skin AND the culture of the people who were brought to the USA during slavery and lived through it, came out of it, and developed into present day BLACK Americans. Black refers to those people who have no recollection of their culture, native tongue, native religion, or family name. The BLACK culture is almost synonymous with the URBAN culture. It's where the blues, rock and roll, soul music and the ever popular hip hop/rap culture came out of. It's the baggy jeans and over-sized tee-shirts of the 90's-early 2000's. It's the sagging pants, the use of nigga as not a word of hate but of love, slang like "what's good" and so much more.

Black

In the rest of the world, as I understand it, refers to a skin color and NOT a culture. This is why when placed next to a Latino the debate rages..."I'm not black i'm Latino". The Latino is trying to hold on to their culture not trying to end up with the same fate of the "black Americans" those who lost and had to redefine their culture. The black american just see's skin color and not culture however and says "nah, they're black. Just black people who speak Spanish."

We have to evaluate the words, who's using them, who's reacting to them, and finally what difference it makes in life. To some people...(most people in America) black is black!...to others...the idea of holding on to culture for dear life is worth all the fighting and arguing...worth NOT identifying with black american's and standing up for common ground, goals, and enemies. The concept of the afro-Latino is a concept of pride...a concept I can understand as not being redundant as I phrased it. I still believe strongly that we all must see past our differences...especially those of us with darker skin who will be the object of the prejudices that come with it. Those of us who as a people, started at the same place and ended up in many others. Those of us who have AFRICAN blood running through us, AFRICAN melanin making our hair kink, skin shine in the sunlight, lips wide, curves curve, and that AFRICAN rhythm that no doubt allows us to create and move to the music we all love. It's a debate I'm tired of having...it's an ignorance that is wide spread...something that cannot be cured in a video or a blog post.

I thank you all for reading and baring with me! Much love!

2 comments:

Let me know what you think!!